The History of the PDSA
The Peoples Dispensary for Sick Animals is a charity organisation with one simple objective: to treat and care for sick and injured animals belonging to those animal owners who cannot afford the high cost of private veterinary services.
The PDSA was founded by Maria Dickin in the United Kingdom in 1917. The PDSA (SA) was established in South Africa in 1937 with a small veterinary clinic in the old district Six area. In 1987 the PDSA became fully autonomous from the United Kingdom.
Now 86 years old, the PDSA (SA) is registered with the Department of Social Services as a non-profit organisation, registration number 003-288 NPO, and we have Section 18A Income Tax Exemption status.